The $3 Billion PINless Routing Opportunity Explained
The Federal Reserve Clarification has created a flurry of activity in the payments industry - and certainly a lot of confusion around the 57-page document. CMSPI has analyzed the document to understand what it means for merchants and what the data says today.
CMSPI has summarized the announcement into 5 key takeaways:
1. Act Now – you’ll need data, engagement with your payments partners and a clear strategy well ahead of July 1st
2. It’s Not a Silver Bullet – there are several barriers in place before enablement reaches 100%
3. Increased Complexity – digital debit transactions are completely different to card-present debit transactions, and should be treated as such
4. Customer Experience – PINless reaches beyond digital payments. It can be used to boost customer experience at checkout, if implemented correctly
5. Stay Ahead – don’t wait for the July 1st deadline!
CMSPI’s infographic on the PINless debit routing clarification explains more: